Wednesday, October 31, 2007

All Hallows' Eve

Well, it is done for another year. Hallowe'en in the suburbs came and went rather quietly this year. Oh, there were still fire crackers & teenagers haunting the streets, but overall, quieter than usual. Only 33 kids this year, which is considerably down from years past. Maybe it is a dying tradition.

Things at the house were a little lower key this year too. I am just not motivated to go all out, and so there were decorations, but less.

Highlites of the night included;

- A wee vampire who hollered "Tricker Treat" at my door in lieu of knocking on it. Good thing he was loud!
- The lady who commented on the more elaborate display from year, which let me know that the effort had been appreciated, even if it took a year to find out.
- The tiny skeleton who sauntered up to the door, pop can in one had and the other outstretched, reaching for whatever I might be giving out. I could imagine his teenaged self sauntering about the streets with a beer can in one hand and the other...well, you get the idea.
- The group of good natured teenagers who I called "big trick or treaters" and who humourously corrected me by saying they were not big, just experienced. :)
- And lastly, a boy wearing an Afro wig who informed me that he was Michael Jackson, and did proceed to enthusiastically bust a move when I asked him to dance for me. Said he never could get the hang of that moon walking!

No comments: